Founded 1946, by Geoffrey Beard
Church of Holy Innocents, Tuck Hill.
33 Stourbridge Historical members met at St Mary Magdalene Church Quatford. Built in 1086 it was the site of the first Bridgnorth parish church until it was replaced by the building of the church in Bridgnorth itself.
Constructed of sandstone and tufa, nearly 40 steps lead up to the church. An electrically powered lift was installed in 2005 to enable the disabled (or tired!) easier access.
During the summer sheep graze the churchyard.
St. Mary Magdelene Church, Quatford
Tim pointing out the Norman Pillars and arches
Built between 1868 and 1869 on an elevated position with superb views of Shropshire. In early Spring the churchyard is carpeted with snowdrops than daffodils
Original Stained Glass Window by Kemp. Circa 1892
Many thanks to Tim Bridges for his expert guidance during the tour.
Also our thanks to David Hickman for organising the afternoon, and finally thanks to Graham Beckley (our resident photographer) for the photographs.
David (on the left) introducing Tim Bridges.
Our members enjoyed a delicious afternoon tea, kindly provided by Ladies from the Church, which rounded off a most enjoyable visit.
Church interior with some of our society members.
Interior of the Church
St Mary the Virgin Church, Alverley.
Begun in 1140, the Church is built of sandstone and tufa.
Our tour of Three Shropshire Churches with Tim Bridges, on 12th August 2017
The Altar with beautifully embroidered altar cloths
We wish to respect copyright and be as accurate as possible on this site.
If you spot any inaccuracies, infringements or technical problems please let us know.
Stourbridge Historical Society and the site authors accept no liability for any errors or omissions.
Copyright © Stourbridge Historical Society All rights reserved.