Founded 1946, by Geoffrey Beard

Stourbridge Historical Society

Photographs by our in-house photographer, Graham Beckley

The most enjoyable walk, which had lasted around 90 minutes, ended with Vice President Trevor Sidaway giving a vote of thanks to Tim for yet another informative outing.

Trevor also gave a huge thank you to our organiser Gill, who has worked hard for us all year and has arranged three very successful outings. The group dispersed into the town for a well earned cup of tea in one of the many available cafes.

Tim is seen here, explaining to the group in the aptly named Meeting Lane, that the original Baptist meeting house (above), built in 1735 is now a hall to the new Baptist Church (left), built in 1859

Tim explained that the clock on St. Nicholas Church is in an unusual position on the south west corner of the 14th century tower which makes it visible from the High Street.

The Old Malthouse

Alcester walk led by Tim Bridges on Saturday 10th August.

Churchill House, which dates from the 17th century and has the year 1688 inscribed on the rainwater hopper

Today the town features architecture from medieval, Tudor, Georgian and Victorian eras.

The oldest house is thought to be The Old Malt House at the corner of Church Street and Malt Mill Lane and dates from around 1500

Our last stop was at the bottom of the very pretty Malt Mill Lane, which was bedecked in shrubs and baskets. The houses were once homes to needle and bodkin makers.

A good size group from the Historical Society met outside the Waitrose store in Alcester on what looked to be a wet and blustery afternoon. Luckily the rain stopped as Tim explained that Alcester is a market town and civil parish of Roman origin, standing at the Junction of the River Arrow and the River Alne. The name is thought to have derived from the River Alne and the Saxon word ceaster, which meant a Roman fort or town.